The joys of Trini Rock.

8/17/2006 04:25:00 PM Edit This 1 Comment »

I've been busy as a mo fo lately with work and life in general. So sorry for not posting as often as I should. *Have a cookie*

So.. what to blog about today? Well, I have recently been going to a lot of local rock concerts lately. Now, Trinidadian Rock is a growing artform. There are quite a few bands but many of them are not my style, the ones that are, though, I love. So, in no particular order:

Incert Coin (yes with a 'c'):
Awesome band that I think has international potential. They've been around for quite a while (about 10 years I think but don't quote me on that). In my humble inconsequential opinion, they have great music: intriguing lyrics and a damn good sound. Plus, James ( the lead singer) has an amazing voice and a great stage presence, something that is hard to fake. I've been to many of their shows and they have never failed to disappoint (except last Friday when they didn't play at Steps anymore.. WTF happened guys?). To hear their music, check out their site as well as their Myspace profile..


Jointpop

Mr. S introduced me to them. He has good taste too. J.pop isn't like any of the other bands I will blog about today. They have something special. They've been around forever and I have alot of respect for them. Their sound is very unique (more indie than anything else) as is the band. So professional, so centered, so focused: I am very surprised that they haven't hit the big time yet. I've only been to two shows of theirs but they have blown me away everytime. Their music is so well thought out. Sometimes comical, sometimes serious but always awe inspiring.... One of my favorite songs is "Let's pray for Rock and Roll number 2 on the Juke box). Take a peep at their site which is very cool as well. Oh yeah, Myspace.

Vox Deus

Formed in 2002/2003, these guys have great energy and a crazy sound. They seem a little rough around the edges but it works for them. Their lead guitarist Nicholas Khan is really good (coming from a novice in every sense of the word this may not be the greatest compliment but the man f-ing rocks it hard). Their vocalist Matthew Coelho has good stage presence and a killer grunt. Performances are unfortunately sometimes inconsistent but they are worth the wait. Here's their Myspace profile.

Tripped and Falling

Punk and powerful. A great live band with high energy and even higher potential. Their song Ashes and Ember is one of my favorites. I don't have to say too much about them cause their music speaks for it self. One thing I will say though is that they always seem to get better with time. Kudos Guys!TAF Myspace

Orange Sky

One of the more popular bands in T&T, I have a special place in my heart for them. They were my very first concert and it was all history from there. An interesting blend of reggae and rock, these guys are really good and .hurray for them, recently signed, I expect alot of good things from them. I have nothing bad to say about them at all. The music is mellow and chill and friggin awesome. Play me "Alone" or "Real Love" and I am good for the day.Just go see.


Skid"Nevely

An unsual fusion of Steelpan, calypso and punk, Skid"Nevely sound the most like Trinibagonian Influenced rock, though their founding member Andrew McIntosh is from St. Lucia. They are definitely original and I like that about them not to mention the bandmates seem very down to earth as well. Very good in concert and recorded, they have a consistent sound and you can tell some of the members are classically trained. Overall, a tight band. As usual... the Myspace profile



Some others worth mentioning:

Blood Red Clover: Lead singer has a great full voice.
A moment of silence: Wham dey Bob?
Everything is Eventual: WTF Music. Funny as hell.

For more information and links to bands on the Trinidadian Rock Scene go to Island Noise

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Mad Bull said...

I like the rock thing too... I think I will check out your links, but I have some work to do first. I have been procrastinating too long, you know. Is work time now... well, after dinner anyway... ;-)