That Dreaded Family Reunion

7/31/2006 04:51:00 PM Edit This 2 Comments »



It's finally here... this thing I have been dreading forever. It's not my family reunion, of course, it's Mr. S' (my boyfriend of 2+ years). I got away for more than 2 years having to deal only with his dad (who is adorable) and his mother( who scares the living daylights out of me).

I have avoided all the rest of the family (with the exception of his cousin's wedding last year ...or the year before) beautifully for 2 WHOLE YEARS but now they will all be there, to my xenophobic dismay, to prod and poke and kiss and cajole. I can barely wait for the probing questions that will be fired at me like machine guns in a war-torn country. The forced smiles and awkward silences for a whole day.

Maybe I should start writing my last Will and Testament cause I'm not so sure I will survive past noon.

Did I mention I hate family reunions, especially when it comes to Potential In-Laws?

Any advice?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathies!! I usually find the children's corner and blend in and play with them as if my life depended on it. Do you drink? Three or four shots of rum has the same effect for me as a Klingon cloaking device. If anyone tries to uncloak me, well what happens afterwards I can always blame on the liquor in my head.

Tish said...

yeah....relax dude.

If they're anyting like lover boy, then you've got nothing to worry about. Smile, nod at the correct moments and grab a plate and offer food.

anyways chica, relax. You've done the hardest part, meeting the parents. Everything else is halal from there.