Belated Love for the Soca Warriors

6/26/2006 11:28:00 AM Edit This 0 Comments »

Now, admittedly, I am not a big football (soccer) fan. I'm not a big sports fan period. The closest I ever get to sports of any kind is Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Fifa 2006. But I have to say my boys did me and the other 1.3 million Trinbagonians proud.
From Bahrain to Germany and back home again, the Soca Warriors have forever gained a place in this former Doubting Thomas' heart.

A standing ovation goes to:

Carlos Edwards (who I have a growing infatuation for) for his consistency, determination and breathtaking work with the ball.

Brent Sancho (we all forgive you, accidents happen ) for being so passive after that awful Crouch goal.

Dennis Lawrence for those amazing goal attempts and overall excellent work.

Russel Latapy, the Little Magician, for giving a little hope in the last few minutes of the Paraguay game.

Dwight Yorke for doing excellent work as the Captain of the team.

The rest of the Soca Warriors, including those who didn't play. You all helped us make history and we will forever treasure that little slice of heaven.

And, of course, to Leo Beenhakker, who helped whip our boys into shape and give them a taste of what our true potential is. I only hope this will be a prelude to something even better.

Also to the patriots and fans that represented us in Germany and left the whole world wanting more.

Nice to see the boys were richly rewarded.

Hope to see you in World Cup 2010!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: