Tobago Love

6/20/2005 01:23:00 PM Edit This 0 Comments »

God I miss Tobago. I've only been to the sister island (Trinidad and TOBAGO) once in my lifetime but I had some of my best memories there. How I yearn to go back. I'm supposed to go in August and I have a ticket in my wallet right now, so I can go anytime I want.

I had gone when I was around 16. I'm not too sure but I think it was then. We, my cousin C and my aunt had gone for 10 days. We stayed in this isolated guest house in Speyside for $50TT a night. The view from there was breathtaking. It was easily quiet and easily one of the most peaceful places I had ever been to. At Night It was even more beautiful.

What amazed me the most though was the fact that you could walk around at any time of night without the slightest amount of fear. It was like a small utopia. It just felt perfect. Like everything was the way it should be.

That night, my cousin and I had walked down to the jetty (dock) that was at the most prominent beach where we were staying. C had a huge crush on this Trinidadian boy named Keston who we had met while swimming with Manta Ray's at a private beach in the same area. We had only found that place because we had befriended some of the locals. He told her that he would be there that night so I was dragged along as a reason for their teenaged rendezvous. (Nevermind I was a teenager myself). When we got there, there was apparently a bit of a "spin the bottle" gathering that had accumulated. Who knew that was the hot spot for adolescent romance. I wasn't into that though (even though I was kind of into Keston myself) but I was the chubby chick and didn't want to deal with the embarrassment of being rejected. So I walked along the jetty alone, while C struck up a conversation with her Island Romeo. The stars seemed to be ten times bigger than they were back in Trinidad and I remember thinking that Trinidad got the short end of the stick when it comes to this kind of beauty. The beach had a darkly ethereal aura to it that was so compelling I wanted to dive in clothes and all. I stayed there alone for almost an hour. For the first time I felt like I was part of perfection.


A beach in Speyside Posted by Hello

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments: